Wednesday, November 6, 2013

For baby Sofia

One of my friends/co-workers is expecting her first baby - a little girl named Sofia.  The color scheme for the nursery is pink and grey so I went off in search of an appropriate selection of fabrics.  I was delighted to come across the pink colorway of Willow by Riley Blake (there's also a blue and a yellow set).  It had the added bonus of being organic cotton and came in an 8 fat quarter set, although I only needed 6 for the pattern I'd selected.


This was a neat tutorial that allows you to make 24 HST from these 6 FQ.  I was a little worried at first because not all of my FQ were a full 18" wide and this was the measurement used in the directions.  It worked out OK though, because you trim the HST down to 8" square and I had plenty of square to properly square :)

Sofia's mama is also very into chevrons, so at first I tried this arrangement of the HST:

I tried to like it, but it wasn't really striking my fancy.  Then I tried the arrangement in the pattern - all the HST oriented the same way and in a repeating pattern.

Much better - I think I'll be going with this one.  And the chevrons aren't a total loss, as the grey fabric is actually a tiny grey and white chevron print.  The final serendipitous find of this little quilt is this elephant fabric for the back: apparently the full nursery theme is pink and grey chevrons and elephants!  The front HST panel will be bordered in a white-on-white dot print (not pictured) and this grey dot is for the binding.  The dots are actually a silver metallic, and I hope they iron, wash and wear well.  The white, elephants and dots all came from Joann's.

Baby Sofia's not due to arrive until late February, but it's nice to be ahead of the game every once in a while!

I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment