A couple Sundays ago I finished my Florence Starburst quilt top and decided to cut the fabric pieces for the Crafty Traveler tote that's part of my Quarter 1 Finish Along goals. Being the responsible crafter that I am, I switched out the blade on my rotary cutter before starting on the new project. (Okay honestly, it should have been switched a while ago and I was finally fed up with having to hit those certain places more than once while cutting, you know?)
Even with the new blade I was having a horrible time! The cutting was terrible! It made a huge mess!
Totally frustrated, I put things away for another day. Fast forward to Saturday. I had to cut my QoVF fabric, so I carefully started wiping the blade off. As I cleaned things up I noticed that the blade seemed thicker than normal. Investigating further, I discovered the problem.
I had put two blades on at once.
I'm not even kidding. Two blades. On one cutter. Oy.
The problem was that I bought a 5 pack of blades a while back, and they're all covered in lubricant-type stuff that is supposed to make them spin easily on the cutter, but also makes them stick to each other in that little yellow plastic box. I thought I'd separated out one new one, but handling new rotary cutter blades also makes me nervous so I guess didn't pay close enough attention.
Linking up with Really Random Thursday, Fabric Frenzy Friday and Let's Bee Social so maybe someone else can learn from my embarrassing mistake!